The Australian Society of Orthodontists recommends an assessment by the age of seven, as this is an ideal time to assess the development of the jaws and teeth. Early detection of problems can allow for immediate action, which can minimise its impact allowing for easier treatment later on. In some instances, early treatment can completely prevent the onset of significant orthodontic problems.
Some of the potential benefits of early treatment include:
- The prevention or minimisation of crowding (crooked teeth) and hence potentially preventing the need for extractions later on.
- Prevention of impacted teeth, including the damage they can cause to neighbouring teeth.
- Improvement in the jaw and facial relationship, potentially eliminating the need for extractions or even surgery.
- Improved breathing patterns and reduction of childhood sleep apnoea and snoring.
- The elimination of jaw shifts which may lead to jaw-joint derangement and unfavourable growth.
- The elimination of harmful habits.
Braces for children
To find out more about our early intervention orthodontic treatment, or to book an appointment at one of our orthodontic practices across Adelaide, please contact us.